Friday, October 26, 2007

Gettin On

In Chicago I lived in community. I worked in tight-knit community neighborhood. And then I had the Claretians. All told, I'd say on any given day I had a good dozen meaningful conversations with people. Give or take.

Here, I work mostly on my own. And that gets old for people like me who really like people. I've got some friendships growing, and I've got academic and even some professional contacts with people, but still. Big drop in personal contact when I moved here. So I've decided to work on that.

I joined a women's group that meets once a week to talk about women stuff. It's great. That'll last this semester, and we'll see about after that. And I went to the UHM Sierra Club meeting last night. I'll think I'll keep up with that too. They're active, diverse, environmentally conscious... and I met this guy who invited me to Sustaining Dialogue, which is a group that meets and talks about race and racism. Michael and I are going this afternoon.

Also, I went and auditioned for student film projects. They always need actors, and in my very limited experience with student film projects, they're fun. There were three films I could have auditioned for, but one of them was all male assassins with the bound up female in the trunk and then they torture her... just... not quite... my thing. I don't watch movies like that. I'm certainly not going to help make one. But I think I might get the call for at least one of the other two. I'll find out in a week-ish.

In the academic realm... I haven't yet got back my Methodology midterm grade. He hadn't finished grading everyone's by class time. But he did talk about good things and bad things he'd noticed in the ones he'd read so far, and... I think I did fine. I've started designing my final project in my head, but I'm going to wait two weeks before I really start working on it, just in case it turns out that this project can be in line with my thesis. If the timing doesn't work out, I'm not gonna force it, but if I figure out a specific course of research in the next two weeks, I'll design my final project around it.

Cultural Community is going well. Good grades thus far. And, I'm nearly done with the data collecting for my final project. Next part is sorting through the data and creating the report. But... if I really apply myself, I think I could do that in a week. So the goal is to finish it before mid-November, so I can have the folks at Safe Haven look over it. Then I'll re-treat it if need be, ready for presentation in early December.

Yay.

No comments: