Saturday, November 3, 2007

And then it gets really exciting

The best way to get things going is to give myself too much to do. I have regretted this about myself in the past. I'm sure I'll regret it again. But there have also been times in the past where I've just thrived on it. And right now, no regrets. Life has just gotten a whole hell of a lot more fun and exciting. I am loving it.

The stats:

NaNoWriMo is off and running. I'm at 6,836 words at this time.

Methodology midterm score is in. I did very well. I'm very pleased.

Methodology readings have lightened considerably for these final few weeks of class. Pages to be read by Monday: 38.

Methodology final project is on hold temporarily while I work with Cliff to come up with a plan for my masters. If the study I propose for my final can be the study I propose for my thesis, I wanna do that. Here's hoping.

Cultural Community Psychology readings are about youth violence this week and last. Very interesting material. However, not always interestingly written. I do not know how some psychologists can take such an exciting subject and reduce it to dry chapters. Luckily, the book we're reading this week is written by a number of folks, so chances are some of the chapters will read quickly. Chapters to read by Thursday: 7 (approx. 150 pgs)

Cultural Community Psychology final project is going quicker than expected. What I really need to do now is sit down for a day and write it up. It may not be perfect or finished after that day, but there will only be tweaking left to be done. Then, I'll turn it over to Safe Haven for review so they can make sure what I'm saying is good and accurate. Then I'll present it in class. Pre-research practice run seems to be a success. I'm feeling good about this.

Research preparations have begun. For real. I spent most of this semester reading background literature in the field so I can get a good basis of knowledge in my head about what's going on and what I can do within it. Two weeks ago I created a list of research interests. One week ago I created a list of studies regarding my research interests. Yesterday Cliff emailed me a list of which of these studies would be practical and possible for me to do here. Right now I'm developing a list of research questions that could fall within his list of study possibilities. I really could have a topic within the next couple weeks. I really could be proposing my Masters thesis next semester. How crazy is that?!

Also, I'm going to be in two short films. The problem: although I don't mean to generalize or stereotype, 100% of all undergrad film students everywere are incapable of scheduling. This actually has to do with the fact that I think the same crew is creating three short films right now, and for some reason they keep juggling what's actually happen on any given day with what was expected to happen on that given day. But the result is lots of rescheduling. Still, fun. And still, I'll get to learn how to make empanadas because my character Quimey makes empanadas.

Maybe I can get paid in empanadas...

Mmmm.... empanadas....

1 comment:

Anna said...

Mmmm.... empanadas....