Sunday, January 24, 2010

In the interest of time

1) As Gina pointed out to me last night, a highly stressful situation which consumed a large portion of my fall semester has now become a funny story. It is now easy to share laughs without (much) bitterness, and I am still just very, very happy to be living in this new place. I heart my current living situation.

2) Work is going well. I feel useful and competent, and I definitely enjoy what I do. Nevertheless, I am taking days off this week so that I can catch up on other important things.

3) I've fallen behind on Comps readings. I'm not sure how much-- I've hesitated in counting up my chapters read this week versus chapters that should have been read this week. Even subtracting extra chapters I'd read in previous weeks, I know I'm behind. I hate being behind. But that's okay. Work required my attention and I decided not to stress falling behind just yet. I'm gonna take some days off work this week and devote myself to my studies. I'm going to ask Cliff on Monday to loan me some particularly interesting books this go round so that it will be easy to catch up, and hopefully, get a bit ahead again.

4) My stomach hurt this week, and so I didn't go to the gym, and I didn't want to eat, and I know I ate anyway but I don't have too much memory about what I ate. But this past week aside, I have learned that eating with the goal of adding more fruits/vegetables makes me feel good in general, and going to the gym for thirty minutes in the middle of the day makes me feel really good in general, and so I'm going to just keep doing those things into the foreseeable future, because I like feeling good in general.

5) I haven't written fiction in about two weeks, but I've kept it in my passions by keeping the story in my thoughts, figuring out character growth, scene details, story arcs when my mind is in between work/study thoughts. I want to cultivate my interest in writing this story so that I don't randomly decide one day to put it down (again) indefinitely and start on something else (again) before putting that down and... again and again and again. We'll keep on this.

6) My professional writings have received no technical gain, although I wrote a new section for the teacher handbook for work, and I based much of it off of a lit review I'd been working on, and I think this has given me new focus for editing/finishing the lit review for publication.

7) I met someone from work, Melanie, two nights ago who says she knows just the person to connect me to in Tuvalu about psychology of climate change research there. Kiriko said, "I told you she would know someone." Melanie said, "Email me in three weeks." She's on her way to Guam and Saipan right now. She knows everyone in the Pacific.

8) I have time for all of this and more. But time is an interesting thing in that sometimes, I just don't want to be productive and so I don't get anything done for many hours at a stretch.

No comments: