Monday, January 5, 2009

Synopsis

So what can I say? 2008 is done. 2009 is here. I had a good year in 2008, actually. Ups and downs, sure, but I would say at the very least all of it was interesting and eventful.

I walked with a cane for six months.

I had a miraculous physical therapy recovery from cane-walking.

I testified before the state legislature several times.

I started a worm composting bin.

My worms were raptured.

I spent six weeks on the Big Island helping kids find their way into college.

I went to North Carolina to present at my first conference.

I met my nephew in Memphis.

I went to Thailand to help smart people figure out air pollution problems.

I proposed my Masters thesis.

My brother proposed to his girlfriend.

She said yes.

My brother glows now.

My family came up to visit (except Mary who has my little nephew at home--but next time).

I got a new job, which I love.

I made some movies with my writing group.

I flaked out on my writing group entirely during my semester-from-hell.

I took ukulele lessons.

There's more. I'm sure there's more. This was an eventful, busy, crazy, stressful, awesome, interesting, exciting, wonderful, frustrating year. I don't know that I went into 2008 with such high hopes. I think that very probably, 2008 blew out all of my expectations. I'm totally down with that. 2008 was great. That is totally a year that I don't feel I wasted or failed to live or suffered through or that somehow passed me by. And I was tired, so very very tired by the end of it. But looking back, it was totally worth it. If I had it to do over, I would have done everything the same, except that I would have coughed up the money to bring Michael over the Big Island to play with me a couple times during the summer. I missed him so much. Though, true, the absence made us closer later on.

As for 2009, I have a couple of resolutions. Two, actually, that I can think of. One is to join up as an active member of Sierra Club now that I can walk again. I love walking. I love hiking. I wanna do that. So I'm gonna do that. The second is to have more fun. I intend to go out with friends and relax and have a drink and go places with music and to be sociable. I don't want to get lost in my semester again like I did this fall. Of course, this fall *was* special circumstances with all the stuff I crammed into it. But I don't intend to cram that much into spring semester, and that means that I can go chill with my peeps from time to time. So I'm gonna.

Other than that, I intend only to live life. To take it as it comes. And who knows, maybe I'll get another badass year this year. But whatever, I'll take it as it comes.

peace, y'all.

No comments: