Friday, February 8, 2008

Re: Islands, Acronyms, and Do Not Resuscitate Orders

This year I will get to see two more islands without a doubt. Maybe more, but there is doubt there so we'll not focus on that just now. But I'll get to go to Maui for data gathering for my thesis (and I've convinced Michael to come along so we can chill there for a few days besides). And of course, I'll be going to the Big Island for the Quentin Burdick practicum this summer (http://www.nursing.hawaii.edu/qb-activities.html).

Speaking of which...

Tomorrow is our first seminar/meeting for this year's group. I THINK tomorrow I will get to meet who is on my team, and therefore who I'll be sharing a house with this summer, and also what our project will be, at least in general terms.

I am so friggin excited.

This first meeting has been "off somewhere in the future" since I got accepted, but now it's "tomorrow." I can hardly contain myself. And there's nothing to do, really, except wait. So I content myself to focus on inconsequential details -- what should I wear so that I look relaxed, but nice; should I bring my cane because my foot hurts this week, or will that make them worry about me having a recurring injury while I'm 'out in the field'; bring my backpack or my more professional-looking Claretians satchel -- all that stuff that doesn't really matter. Especially since I know when I wake up early, early I'm just going to do whatever I would normally do in getting ready for the day. I won't care once I'm on my way.

The next part of me being so friggin excited about tomorrow is that tomorrow is Showdown in Chinatown. It's the unveiling of G.P.E.C.W.A.O.S.H.'s first film, and my swordfighting debut.

G.P.E.C.W.A.O.S.H., by the way, is our nano group as it still exists. We decided we needed a name that extended beyond November writing, decided we wanted something huge and impressive sounding -- I think "overly pompous" was what we were specifically going for.

And so in the grand tradition of S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A. (Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America), several exceedingly long names were put forth in order to show off our grandeur. I don't know if it was Jon or Kelly who came up with G.P.E.C.W.A.O.S.H. (the Guild for the Promotion and Encouragement of Creative Writing And Other Stuff in Hawaii), but the rest of us jumped all over a group name that contains the phrase "other stuff". And I take great pride in having therefore suggested a red herring as our mascot. It just seemed apt.

Anyway, tomorrow is like "The Day" for me. I can't believe I have to wait all the way through this one in order to get to the next. It doesn't seem fair. Why has no one invented time travel yet? That extraordinarily complicated solution would really help me to avoid minor inconvenience just now.

Not that Today is without event. I'm... oh, I'm so sad about it... I think my novel died. I've been trying to resuscitate it for awhile, but I think I've lost it. And I'm so bummed. I've put so much work into it, and as it stands now, I just couldn't care less about any of the characters. And I can't keep restructuring it. I'm getting further and further away from the path I started on. I'm just lost. Or it's lost. Whichever. We've lost each other.

My plans for today are to

1) get some actual work done. I am in grad school, after all.

And 2) following that, go sit somewhere overlooking the ocean and figure out what to do next. Find my way? Let it lie and go back to my nano for editing? Start a new project altogether? I don't know yet, but these are the answers I'll be looking for.

Come on, Pacific Ocean, pull through for me.

Because tomorrow, we celebrate.

No comments: