Friday, November 30, 2007

Updates

So, a lot of you may have heard by now that Michael's mom died. She had been sick for a long time, although we didn't know this until after we moved here. Michael did have a chance to talk to her a few times since we moved, so I think that was good. But his dad didn't call to tell him when she passed, so that was less good. Michael seems to be doing okay, but it's hard for me to tell sometimes because we show emotion differently from each other. So I try to be available if he needs me, and be nice to him because he deserves it. He really deserves better than what he's gotten in life. I just wish I could make everything perfect. But that, I cannot do.

The Saga of the Roof continues. Apparently, when the roofer came before and went up on the roof and then left without saying anything to me, he reported back that he couldn't find the leak from the top. So the building maintenance guy came through today and cut a huge hole in the ceiling to try and see if he could find the leak from the bottom. And he did. And now there's a big hole in the ceiling, and it's supposed to rain for the next four days. The good news is that there should be a direct line of dripping from hole-in-the-roof to bucket-on-Kati-and-Michael's-floor. So, any time now this'll all get fixed. And actually, I'm not that fussed about it. It's an inconvenience, to be sure. But knowing that I don't have to pay for this (and have a general variability in my schedule that allows me to be home for roofers' visits) kind of takes the anxiety out of the situation. And so it goes.

My Methodology final went well. I think. I feel. I'm pretty damn close to knowing for sure. Yeah, it went well. And sprung from this project is the official (albeit general) topic of my Masters Thesis: the Superferry. The next step will be researching background literature and learning everything there is to know about the Superferry, and looking into psychological research into community change. Within the next few months I'll tie all this info together into a research proposal, and then I'll do research, and then I'll defend it, and then I'll be Master Kati. Simple as that.

Oh, and I finished my novel. Working on the editing/rewrite a bit already. I'll have time in December to put forth more effort to that. Also, a group of us nanos in Honolulu are sticking together for more writing through December. We like the momentum of the writing we've got going, so we're gonna stick with it. New stories, or finish this one, or really whatever each person feels like working on. So I'm gonna edit and try to get another book laid out and basically written. It's amazing to me all the ways I can see to improve this last one while maintaining the basic structure I've written out. This is a new type of writing for me. And it's fun. Wish me luck.

No comments: