Friday, November 9, 2007

More Nano

Word count: 18,040

Also, I didn't know if anyone was interested, but my account name at nanowrimo is greenmansdaughter. You can visit my user profile at:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/231823

It's just little fun stuff... novel excerpts that I update whenever I write something vaguely interesting and non-sucky, a graph that shows my progress, a picture I took of myself in the Wicklow Mountains outside of Dublin...

I still want to build up lots of outside peer expectations since every time I've tried to write this story in the past, I've quit and restarted it about 5 chapters in. And I want to finish, so I really need that fear of humiliation (thanks, Anna, by the way :) in the contingency that I fail to complete this goal.

This time, however, I think I've passed the point of wanting to start over. I wrote for two or three days straight, knowing that everything I wrote during that time was crap. And I thought of a better way of going about it. So I went back, put in a note of what I'll do in the re-write and then... continued from where I'd left off. And as I slip into the meat of the story, and as I get used to writing every day... I think my mad dash writing is improving. I can see, even as I write, where I'll need to tidy up in the re-writes, but it's been more a matter of making the phrasing more eloquent rather than needing to actually rework the structure of a chapter to make it worth reading. I think I'm a converted nano.

As for non-nano news, this weekend I'm filming some more. And that's fun. Also, I'm attempting to finish at least a majority of my final project for Cultural Community Psychology. I actually think that's gonna work out well. Although, yes, it's taking a good deal of time. But Monday's a holiday, and I'll have most of Saturday and Sunday... This can work. I'll make this work.

peace,
kati

No comments: