Friday, August 3, 2007

Let the meat be canned

Spam.

Everyone said there would be spam here. And that people ate it all the time. We haven't yet been to any restaurants, so I haven't confirmed it there. We haven't yet been to any people's houses for dinner, so I haven't confirmed it there. However, we've been to the grocery store several times, and well... the spam aisle is... extensive. There are types and varieties of spam that I never would have dreamed of. There are special anniversary cans. There are collectible cans. There are flavors for every palate from spicy to sweet. There is turkey spam. There is spam lite. (Speaking of "spam lite," Anna, I received a spam email today with the subject title "we received your appication." And I wondered, 'my appication for what?')

That I know of, I'd never had spam before. It has a taste kind of reminiscent of Vienna sausages. And ham. And... stuff. But we've thrown ourselves into this spam thing, eating spam sometimes five, sometimes seven times a day. Okay, slight exaggeration. We've had it thrice total, so let me share my superior spam knowledge with all of you non-spam-eaters back home.

Regular spam tastes better once it has been fried. And it is good with maple flavor baked beans and rice. It is very rich and after you've eaten it, you kind of feel like you should never eat meat or eggs or anything with fat or cholesterol or sodium in it ever again.

Turkey spam is a whole lot less bad for you than regular spam. Way less fat and cholesterol. I think the sodium's about the same though. Which is somewhere around 'a lot'. We discovered two things with our venture into the world of turkey spam. One, it's just not as good as the pork kind. Two, if you're going to make a spam sandwich, don't forget the tomato.

Spam lite tastes similar to regular spam, but is a lot less rich. It's lower in fat and lower in sodium. And because I have tried three varieties now, I feel as though that gives me the authority to have a favorite. Spam lite is my favorite. But I don't think I'll get any when we go grocery shopping this weekend. I think I'm all spammed out for now.

No comments: