Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Industry

It's been an industrious time here. Over the past month, while I've been waiting for grad school to start, I've been filled with this energy. It comes from excitement. People who know me well know that I'm most productive when I'm entirely too busy. It's because when I'm really busy, I'm usually really excited about what's going on, whether it be a good excitement or not. But excitement breeds energy, and for me that means creative energy. So I find myself facing down deadlines with crises erupting left and right, and suddenly my creative mind explodes and I start working on stories or art projects or trying to figure out the meaning of life in my non-existent free time.

It's awesome to be alive during these periods. And exhausting. But so worth it. I love it.

Well, after we'd set up the apartment and basically found our way around Honolulu, there were still weeks left before my new adventure began. But the excitement was already here. And... excitement breeds energy and for me that means creative energy. Which means I've been creating during this time. And it's good. If I'd just sat here with no projects, I'd have gone insane with the waiting. So,

1) I made drapes. Hand sewn drapes. Nine of them, four of which are a five and a half feet long, four feet wide. It took about two weeks. And I was even able to figure out a way to hand sew something without my left hand getting too stiff. And now we have drapes. Really pretty ones, albeit simple ones. But perfectly functional and nice enough to look at.

2) I laid out every chapter of four books in this series I've had popping around in my head over the last couple of years. We'll see if I ever actually get around to writing it. Oh, wait. I take it back. The last book is not laid out chapter by chapter. It's just a brief summary of events. Still, the entire story is there for me to put together. If I ever get around to doing that.

3) I built a shelf for our kitchen counter so that the microwave, the surge protector and other appliance cords could fit without taking up our entire counter space. I just finished that one a few minutes ago.

This is, of course, after we put our desks together and our bookshelf together and I cut a hold in the back of the bookshelf so the outlet wouldn't be covered up. I wish sometimes that I had formal training in this sort of thing so that the finished product would look nicer, but eh. I also realize that for me, half the fun of doing it is figuring out how to do it. As long as the finished product basically works, I'm cool if it doesn't look professional. And the drapes work, and the shelf works, and the storyline works, so yeah... I'm happy.

I have my first class tomorrow. And I wonder how much more I'll get done by then.

No comments: