Friday, January 1, 2010

Ten Goals update and a scary sidenote

I started out the New Year right with a hike. It was way awesome. Also, I ate three meals by 1:30 pm, and still continued to be mildly hungry until having a huge dinner and cake at 5:00. I seem to remember my brother had been on a 6000 calorie diet or something when he did the Appalachian Trail.

I hiked a mountain ridge, which was awesome because I could look down into two valleys, one of which is home to my school and the other of which has always seemed terribly far away from my school. It's not. There's just a mountain between them.

The trail I set out on hooked up with this other trail which turned out to be a mostly super-steep mud-and-wet-leaves-slicked descent into the valley which is home to my school. Manoa valley, if you're wondering. It came out next to this old man's driveway, and he was kind enough to wish me a happy new year, tell me where I was, and point me on my way.

It was a fantastic way to get going on my 10 for 2010 goals, and a fantastic way to start out this year.

After that, as a scary sidenote, I began my studies for Comps. I have recently figured out that I need to read approximately 7 chapters/articles every day (provided I take no days off) until late April or early May when I take my Comprehensive Exam. And so today I read and took notes on about 180 pages of a book about race and class in the Chicago ghetto [Streetwise: Race, Class, and Change in an Urban Community by Elijah Anderson]. Great book. Highly recommended.

Now I need a beer.

And one appears in my hand. Thanks, Michael. Don't I have the best husband ever?

No comments: